In times of crisis, food is always the most immediate concern. Sprouting seeds for survival is one of the best ways to ensure that your family will be able to eat even when the banks are closed and the stores are out of stock.
It’s essential to have a seeds for survival kit so you can easily grow sprouts and feed your family in emergency situations. Simply follow these instructions so you’ll know what to do when the time comes.
- Seeds for Survival
- Some Glass Jars
- Pieces of Mesh
- Rubber Bands
- Sealed Plastic Bags
How to Sprout Seeds in a Jar: 8 Basic Steps
1. Prepare the right amount of seeds and put them inside a glass jar.
2. Pour cold, purified water into the jar to soak the seeds. Make sure there’s enough water so that the seeds can double their dry size even while still being immersed in water.
3. Let the seeds for survival soak for around 4-12 hours.
4. After soaking the seeds, put the mesh on the jar opening, secure it with the rubber band and drain out all the water. Rinse the seeds for survival with cool water and drain again properly. Get much water out as possible to prevent mold growth.
5. Turn the jar upside down to a 45-degree angle and place it in a bowl. This helps drain out the excess water and encourage air circulation. Keep the seeds for survival away from sunlight.
6. Now you will have to rinse the sprouts twice daily for 3-5 days, again depending on the variety. You can do this in the morning, midday and evening. Remember to drain out the water properly after rinsing them and put the jar back to its upside-down, 45-degree position.
7. On the very last rinsing, pour cold water into the jar and scoop out the all floating seed husks. Then drain out all the water, do another rinsing and drain once more in the usual upside-down, tilted position until all the water is gone. You may use a cloth to further dry the seeds.
8. When the sprouts are generally dry, you may put them in sealed plastic bags and put them in the fridge. You can also extend their lifespan up to 1 week by rinsing them every couple of days.
Now that you know how to sprout seeds in a jar, you can easily feed your family in times of crisis. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions and you and your family will always have access to nutritious food.
Also, remember to cook sprouts thoroughly before consuming them since eating raw sprouts can be dangerous.